Thursday, August 28, 2014

It will be over in the blink of an eye...


Hello again! Time is flying by! I really truly believe it's important to live every second of my mission to the fullest because it will be over in the blink of an eye. So next week is transfers. I will probably stay one more transfer in the city but I'll let you know next week. Today we are having a sisters pday and just relaxing (that NEVER happens here in the city) so I think that will be fun :) all the sisters in my district are super fun and awesome.

First of all, Happy first day of school hunt and livv! Good luck! Do you still get out at 12 everyday? What sports are you doing this year? Write me and Tell me all about it!

Happy birthday on Monday momma!! I love you! Thanks for all you do for me! You're the best. I hope your birthday is awesome! I sent you a card but I put it in a random mailbox on a random street so who knows If it actually will make it to you or not. Sorry! Haha

Last week we went to look up a girl named Arily but she wasn't home so we knocked on the next door and a girl answered named Rachel. So we taught Rachel a bit and then set up a time to go back. On Friday when we went back she answered and she said "oh hi ladies! Come on it. I just got out of the shower so I don't have any pants on but that's okay, come in and I'll go put some on." So we go in thinking she doesn't actually have ANY pants. But it was true. She didn't have pants on! Or anything else for that matter! Awkwarddd. But she came to church on Sunday and loved it so that was awesome. But then we went back to teach her on Tuesday and her door was bolted and locked from the outside. It looked like she had moved out and they took her apartment because she didn't pay or something. It was super weird. We haven't heard from her since.

Ron brought us flowers again. I had to tell him that he can't bring us flowers anymore and we had to make sure everything he was doing was for The Lord and not for us missionaries. It was kind of awkward but he really is a good guy with good intentions in the gospel and not
missionaries so it's okay.

We had dinner at the Wiggintons on Sunday! It was so much fun and so delicious. They are the ones that know the Summers. Their kids are adorable and it was fun talking and getting to know them all better.

Okay so on Monday a Spanish lady had us over for lunch. When we got there she put two big platters of like mini chicken burritos with stuff on top like salsa, sour cream, cheese, lettuce, tomato and all that good stuff.  So it didn't occur to me until after the blessing that the food was ALL for my companion and me. We each had a platter placed in front of us and the lady just kind of watched us eat and she talked with us. Half way through my comp was like "okay this is so good but we are really full." And the lady said "you don't have to eat it all. If you are going to be sick later because you don't like it then don't eat it" so I felt bad and said "no it's delicious, we love it" and the lady said "okay then eat!" So I continued to eat. At that moment I wanted to shove it all in my shirt but I was wearing a white shirt so it wouldn't have worked out too well. But I continued to eat. I thought I was going to die. My comp only finished half so I was feeling embarrassed about that and decided that I do want to come back because we are trying to activate half the family and this was a crucial time that was not about to be wasted by being offended that we didn't eat her food. Luckily when I finished she looked at me and gave me a thumbs up and said "good job! You did so good eating, thank you!" At least it didn't go unappreciated! The rest of the day I thought I was going to die. I probably gained like 30 pounds from it alone but I'm working on getting back into shape so it's okay. I'll survive. I haven't been hungry since then though.

On Monday night we visited an investigator named Norma. She's actually an “eternigator.” She's been taking the lessons for like, lets just say FOREVER!  She goes to church
every single week too. And so I asked my comp why she isn't baptized cuz she had a baptism date a while ago. My comp said she asked her multiple times and didn't want to ask her again. So we got to her house and I told my comp we had to ask. So the entire lesson my comp handed over to me. She said to go for it. So I did. At first it was kinda awk and I was kinda trying to beat around the bush and see where it went but I just kept getting the feeling to flat out ask...so I did. And it was soo awesome! It's really true when we need to be bold, direct, and simple. Long story short, I learned all her concerns about baptism and she told me why she wasn't baptized yet. The spirit was so strong once I got past the fact that my comp wasn't going to say a word the whole lesson. I loved it though. I know it helped her and it definitely helped me too.

We learned that all our investigators (except Sasha and Natasha) live in the projects. And all our investigators are pretty flakey. But we are working on it. We can still help them and they are still awesome.

Sasha and Natasha are super excited about getting their baptism set up again though so I think for sure they will be getting baptized in September. We have a few more things to teach them and then they can get baptized :)

Okay so how is your Book of Mormon reading going? I'll send a copy of the chart thing to follow. It's also on 
lds.org I think. It makes it super simple. Seriously the readings each day are super short so everyone should be able to do it! If you are behind (or haven't started yet) it's okay! It's not too late, start now please! It'll be awesome I promise.

Today I read 1 Nephi 7:17-18. I love how Nephi prays to have the strength to "burst" the bands and then The Lord answers his prayer by making the bands "loosed." I just think it's kinda funny how Nephi was expecting to be all powerful and strong making the bands fly off but instead The Lord answered it his own way and gently let the bands fall off and so He didn't let Nephi get prideful or anything. The Lord really does answer our prayers in His way, not ours.

Well I love you all so much! Have a good week! I'm glad you got home from Hawaii safe and had a good time :)


Love,
Sister Tanner <3
Sisters P-DAY

My friends from ASL South Mission

Always fun to read the weather comments on the sign across the street from us!

Told Ron to STOP with the flowers!

Rachel's door all locked up when we went back!

Finding a way to communicate while waiting to connect with the ASL missionaries

No comments:

Post a Comment