Wednesday, September 30, 2015

I'm so glad I'm not picky


Hello family!!
Can you believe it's the end of September! Super super crazy. Time just won't stop flying by! This week was good of course! It's been rainy and humid and muggy so that's lame, but we have had some great lessons and talked to a lot of awesome people! So life is good :)

THURSDAY
We had interviews with president and a training with the APs. I really do officially feel old in the mission. It's weird. Everyone in our zone is super young mission wise. It's crazy. But it's fun to learn from all them and to teach them at the same time. We all help each other!

FRIDAY
We went and saw Jenn. It was such a special meeting we had with her. She is going through a lot and has gone through a lot in the past. We listened to her for a long time and just let her talk. We had such a sacred heart to heart conversation. We all just cried together and the Spirit was so strong. It was something I will never ever forget. The Atonement is so real. And God loves all of us. He knows her. He knows you. He knows me.
The rest of the day was awesome as well! We met this super awesome guy named Dave. Dave is from Sandy Utah! He was the last house we tracted in that particular area. He needed our message. His brother in law is a bishop in Arizona and so they are all active but Dave never joined. He moved here over 20 years ago though. He told us he didn't believe in God or anything like that and just explained his viewpoint on religion. He was a bit angry at the world and his situation in life, he lost his foot somehow(he didn't tell us how). We were able to testify of the atonement and Jesus Christ and oh how powerful the spirit was! It was SO incredible. Dave agreed with all we said about the atonement too, so he obviously believes some of it. He is moving in with that sister and brother in law that are active so I know he too will join the church when he moves there.
We also got to see a couple less actives who all fed us and we got to go to Hilals and have Turkish food! Sister Standage hated it haha. We had to eat SO much food that day though, I literally threw up. Sick, I know. But I feel like a real missionary now... Hahaha I never wanted to eat again after that day.

SATURDAY
We got to go Conference tracting! I love conference Tracting! It's seriously the best. People get so confused about hearing from the prophet and then they get really curious so it's awesome. The best part is that they can know if Thomas S Monson is a prophet by listening to his words at conference this weekend.Hopefully some people will come. We have invited a lot! Of course we have gotten a LOT of bad reactions too and people have yelled at us a lot, but hey, that's normal right. We just have to keep thinking about how the prophets get persecuted and even Christ Himself was persecuted for teaching good truths!
In the evening we got to watch to Woman's broadcast of course! I thought it was so so good! Wow I was thinking back to those days where we all use to sit and watch it at the church or on moms bed and us girls would dread woman's conference because they were always just like "you are all so beautiful and great. Keep being beautiful daughters of God" but now I love the talks! They are so good! And I loved President Uchtdorfs talk. It was cool because everyone I have talked to got something different out of it.
Our ward watched the conference at the Danbury Spanish/Portuguese branch chapel and we had food with the Branch members before and then all watched it in our own languages. Well the conference was at the same time as Saturday night English class (which probably consists of like 50 people who come and only a couple are members) so the elders sent all the women to watch women's conference and they taught all the men haha

SUNDAY
We had our Fast Sunday and since our ward has shrunk a lot, (lot of families moved out) I actually got to bare my testimony :) so that felt nice. I mean yea I share my testimony every single day, but it just felt nice to be able to get up there.
After church We got to get out and tract some more and invite everyone to conference :)
Oh we watched the Lunar eclipse blood moon thing! That was cool. Except everyone says it only happens like every 15 years or whatever but I feel that we watched it two years ago at BYU.. Sooo.. Ya still cool though.

MONDAY
We went on a Split and it was all in Spanish! I felt so useless. But it was cool to kinda know what was being said and feel the spirit of it.
It was still an awesome day and I met some super cute Spanish families :) they loved me anyway and tried to speak English to me so it's alllll good :)

TUESDAY
We had a zone study with president Smith (that's where the selfie on Facebook came from.) It was so so good! I learned a lot. He is an inspired man. We all studied and then discussed a talk titled "begin with the end in mind" by Elder Nelson from the new mission president seminar. It just motivated us to get out and work work work. That's why I love those meetings, they keep us going!
Afterwards we had some good lessons and did a lot of look ups and Tracting. We had dinner with a recent convert who brought his less active brother and his nonmember friend. It was so great! We went and got sushi! :) it was delicious. And I tried a bunch of things I have never tried before. Just raw octopus, squid, and something That I don't remember what it was. It was all interesting yet still good. Poor sister Standage hated it though, she was like crying and spitting it out, it was so so sad. And she didn't order rice or anything cuz she thought it would be fine and then she felt sick because she hated it. I am just so glad I'm not picky! Haha

WEDNESDAY
Today we get to go to the templeeeee :) it's the last time I get to go with my companion!! The next time I am able to go to the temple will be with all the missionaries going home, super weird!

Today I was reading 3 Nephi 11 and of course it was so good! It's when Christ visits the people in the Americas and has them one by one feel the wound marks in his hands, feet and sides. That must have taken so long. What Patience that would take. Anyway, I read an awesome quote about it by Elder Jeffrey R Holland. It says...

“However dim our days may seem, they have been a lot darker for the Savior of the world. As a reminder of those days, Jesus has chosen, even in a resurrected, otherwise perfected body, to retain for the benefit of His disciples the wounds in His hands and in His feet and in His side--signs, if you will, that painful things happen even to the pure and the perfect; signs, if you will, that pain in this world is not evidence that God doesn’t love you; signs, if you will, that problems pass and happiness can be ours. Remind others that it is the wounded Christ who is the Captain of our souls, He who yet bears the scars of our forgiveness, the lesions of His love and humility, the torn flesh of obedience and sacrifice. These wounds are the principal way we are to recognize Him when He comes. He may invite us forward, as He has invited others, to see and to feel those marks. If not before, then surely at that time, we will remember with Isaiah that it was for us that a God was ‘despised and rejected … ; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief,’ that ‘he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed"

I love that so Much. I know Christ lives. I know He suffered and died for me. I know He knows exactly how I feel when things get hard and I know that we can find joy during trials because of Him.
I hope you have a great week! Happy General Conference weekend!! :) I love you all!

Love,
Sister Tanner <3

No comments:

Post a Comment